The Faculty of Science was established in 1916, as a part of the Faculty of Arts and Science to provide prerequisite basic science courses for medical and engineering students. One of its great benefactors was His Royal Highness Prince Mahidol of Songkla, a son of King Chulalongkorn and the present King’s father. He played a key role in the negotiation with the Rockefeller Foundation which generously contributed to the development of the Faculty of Science in a joint effort with the Ministry of Education.
Bachelor of Science Degrees were first conferred in 1935. Eight years later, the Faculty of Science was established as an independent faculty with 4 service departments: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. Today, the Faculty has 14 departments offering both undergraduate and postgraduate studies. The additional departments that followed include: Biochemistry, Botany, General Science, Geology, Marine Science, Microbiology; and the other four technology-based departments, Chemical Technology, Food Technology, Materials Science and Photographic Science & Printing Technology.
At present, the number of undergraduate and post-graduate students is more than 2,000 and 800 respectively, and represents the third largest faculty of the university. The Faculty of Science has almost 400 academic staff and over 300 administrative staff and technicians. It serves as a center for academic and intellectual pursuits and provides professional services in the form of research consultation, workshops, seminars, national and international conferences, technology transfer and development.
The faculty has been growing rapidly in its academic and research activities. Many of them are undertaken with
a variety of overseas universities and private companies. There are Eminent laboratories, so called “Unit cells”, which include a UNESCO Laboratory and three Scientific Forums. There are four museums which are open to the pubic: The Museum of Natural History, Museum of Imaging Technology, The Geology Museum and the Professor Kasin Suvatabhandhu Herbarium.